Friday, March 20, 2009

The bike shop

I currently have 2 differnt motorcycles.
  - Kawasaki - Vulcan VN400
  - Chinese 125cc

Three days ago I walked up to my bike to find a small pool of oil under the back of the engine. It had just started warming up and I hoped it was just some dirty ice melting. The next day it was a very large pool. My sump was empty, so I put some spare oil in and took it down my friends shop.

Here is where Chinese mechanics can be irritating. I told him what happened and what I did. He took a quick look and could not find the leak. I was told "no problem", after objecting he told me to take it home and come back if it happens again. I went home for lunch and sure enough there was a small puddle under my bike. So I took it back to the shop.

After looking at it for a few minutes he said that the case was broken and it needs to be welded. Come back tomorrow. Next day, my engine is lying in the shop, with the epoxy drying. I am told to come back tomorrow. Today, I go to pick up the bike. Paid the $8.00 USD for the work and started the bike up. Turns out they also tuned the engine.

for $8.00 they;
  1) removed and re-installed the engine
  2) epoxied the crack
  3) replace a passanger foot peg
  4) tuned the engine
can't beet that

Then I brought in my Vulcan, and started doing the work on my own. They don't normally let people do that, but I seemed happy doing it so they let me. Fixed the electrical problem, adjusted the air fuel mixture, cheacked the rear spark plug.

In all a good day, off for bbq.

1 comment:

  1. I also just bought VN400 custom early Feb. Found you from search engine. Don't know how to mail you so sorry to put this comment in your blog.
    My VN400 has to be fixed also. It is the leak at Carburetor frame, no way to fixed. The shop guy say that I have to buy new one. Problem was not much VN400 rider in Thailand. Just want to ask you that any possible to buy from Chaina? My email is bordeev@hotmail.com. Can you help me?... I have no where to go.. Right now my VN400 can run properly but the Fuel always leak.. like a blood bleeding.

    ReplyDelete